EARLY RESOLUTIONS / A LITTLE BIT OF JAPAN IN SCOTLAND / ABOUT

Wednesday 30 December 2015

I'm neither Japanese or Scottish. I'm actually Canadian - born and raised around Kingston, Ontario. However, I currently live in Glasgow, Scotland with my half-Japanese half-Scottish husband. We married in November 2015 and since both of us love food, our wedding was a celebration of good food and good eatin'.

And so now as the new year approaches, I started thinking about how over the course of many years, I've taught myself how to bake as well as the odd pasta/curry/generic mainstay but I've never *actually* mastered anything - let alone an entire culinary repertoire. Although I'm not promising I will master anything. I mean, I grew up in Canada, eating "Canadian" food and yet, I couldn't even tell you the first staple of the Canadian diet. Besides the all important nanaimo bar obviously.

Japanese food though? I mean, I love it and I'll happily eat almost anything put before me (well, apart from beef, chicken or pork...). Raw fish? You got it. Tofu? Even better. Pickled plums? er, ok. But actually making it? I haven't got a clue. So, with the new year just around the corner and my husband's mouth salivating at the thought of okonomiyaki and ohagi, I'm going to challenge myself to make one Japanese dish per week. The only issue being, where do I even start!?






No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top